Position: Application Developer
INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY SERVICES (ITS)
Reports to: Managing Director, Enterprise Applications
Information Technology team is looking for an experienced Java Developer to work on enterprise and web applications.
We value creativity, quality of work, technical leadership, intelligence, an interest to learn, and the ability to thrive as part of a small team.
The Java Developer will work with internal and external clients to determine their application needs and determining the strategy for meeting these needs.
Acting as a technology consultant, this person will help guide our business partners in making sound technology decisions.
He / she will work with other developers in all phases of the development life cycle.
The Java Developer will be responsible for writing, documenting, testing and deploying the code that they create.
Additionally, he/she will maintain their technical expertise by keeping up with industry training and news.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (NOT ALL-INCLUSIVE):
- Proactively monitor assigned applications and recommend performance enhancements, upgrades, and daily monitoring and maintenance tasks
- Troubleshoot production support issues and provide assistance to internal and external customers
- Participate in off-hours work for software and hardware upgrades
- Meet with users to determine requirements and functions for new applications or enhancements
- Research, evaluate and recommend technical solutions
- Develop and maintain functional as well as technical design specifications
- Convert design specifications into computer applications
- Create and update existing project documentation to support full-cycle application development.
Define and document production support procedures
- Work with Quality Assurance specialist to test applications
- Work with Development Operations specialist and Infrastructure team on application deployment
QUALIFICATIONS (EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS):
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field or equivalent experience preferred.
A minimum of three years of hands-on experience as a Java Developer is essential.
Ideal candidate will be a highly creative and proactive individual with the ability to plan and execute projects from beginning to resolution.
Must be skilled in production support and troubleshooting techniques.
We value skills in multi-tasking, time management, organization, creating documentation, testing, and communication.
Product life-cycle experience is a must, including requirements gathering, architecture, design, data modeling, product development and QA testing processes and procedures.
An outgoing personality and excellent interpersonal skills are necessary.
3+ years of software development experience.
Strong Java SE or Java EE skills (preferably with version 5 or later).
Proficiency in Object Oriented design and programming.
Database experience, preferably with Oracle 10g or later.
Knowledge of SQL.
Use of web container technologies such as Tomcat.
XML processing (validating, parsing and constructing XML documents) and related technologies such as XSD, JAXB, XSLT, etc.
Experience with Object Relational Mapping (ORM) tools such as Hibernate.
Experience using source control systems like SVN or Git.
Knowledge of functional, negative, regression, integration, and acceptance testing.
Familiarity with building unit tests using JUnit.
Experience with build-scripts using Maven.
Use of project automation tools like Bamboo or Hudson.
Experience using web presentation technologies such as JSP, JSF, Ajax.
Experience with automated testing tools such as Selenium or JMeter.
Proficiency with IDE-based development, especially IntelliJ with Eclipse.
Experience building web services.
Experience with MQ server
Debugging and troubleshooting skills using tools such as WireShark, Firebug, Web Developer, etc.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V.